The softcover of A Course in Miracles Complete & Annotated Edition (CE) features:
1. BRAND NEW SECTION: The softcover includes a new 4-paragraph section entitled The Journey Into Fear (T-12.III). When we first published the CE, this material became the subject of cameo essay 21 (found in the back of the book), but after careful consideration, it has now been included in Chapter 12 where it appeared in Helen's notebook.
2. HIGH QUALITY VINYL COVER: Vinyl covers offer more durability and less scuffing so you can keep your Course in good shape.
3. THINNER AND LIGHTER DESIGN: The softcover weighs just under 3 pounds, making it a more portable option for travel.
A Course in Miracles has become a contemporary spiritual classic. Since it was originally published in 1976, readers have recognized in its words truths that they had never heard before, yet somewhere inside seemed to have always known. However, in the process of editing for publication, roughly forty-five thousand words were edited out, mostly from the first seven chapters of the Text, and the wording of the first four chapters was edited to the point where only about a fifth of their sentences retained their original wording.
The Complete and Annotated Edition (CE) aims to restore the material that was lost. It was created by going back to Course scribe Helen Schucman's shorthand Notes and editing afresh, retaining the original words to the maximum degree possible. By going back to the words Helen heard in her mind and wrote down in her notebooks, the CE brings you into a more direct encounter with the power of those words. It includes, either in its main body or in appendices, those approximately forty-five thousand words that had been removed in the original published edition.
The teaching in this edition does not contradict teaching found in other editions of A Course in Miracles. However, we believe this edition will allow the Course's true meaning and character to shine through more clearly and enable you to better see the Course for what it is, relate to it as it is, and apply its profound truths to your life.
Features of the Complete and Annotated Edition (CE):
- First four chapters of the Text are roughly twice as long as they are in the familiar Foundation for Inner Peace edition.
- Material whose meaning had been changed by editing is now presented in its original form. For instance, we have restored the original statement "Prepare you not for the undoing of what never was," which had been changed in the FIP edition to "Prepare you now for the undoing of what never was."
- Material that had been rearranged and placed in a different order by editing has, in almost all cases, been restored to its original order.
- Extensive footnotes have been included to clarify difficult passages, identify unclear pronouns, define psychological terms, point out allusions to things in the general culture, and list Course references and Bible references.
- Thirty-three cameo essays have been written. These essays comment on personal guidance given by the source of the material to the scribes (Helen Schucman and William Thetford). This guidance, while too personal for the Course proper, clarifies the application of Course principles to the lives of the scribes, and by extension, to the lives of all students.
- Material that never made it out of Helen's notebooks is included, such as this passage: "Love him steadily, whatever he does, whatever he says, and he will see the miracle of God and you will learn of salvation. If this seems hard to do, remember it is what you want of me."
- All original emphasis of words is retained (either as italics or as gray underlines), as this helps illuminate the meaning.
- Most of the Text section titles and many of the Text section divisions are new.
- Documentation (and often explanation) of editing changes.